The sweet smell of cardamom, and cinnamon wafts up the stairs, a gentle reminder that it’s breakfast time. The sticky glaze crisps slightly as the buns warm in the oven, adding a hint of orange to the other wonderful spicy aromas. I first discovered Kanelbullar (cinnamon Buns) in Stockholm where the family I lived with kept a stash in the freezer, the hot glossy tops poking out from underneath the napkin, making such a tempting start to the day. The cardamom in Swedish cinnamon buns makes them distinctly fragrant and delicious, I’ve added saffron and created a luxury ring for a special Easter Day breakfast.
Cardamom And Saffron Easter Loaf
Cardamom And Saffron Loaf is delicious with fresh cream or toasted and slathered with melted butter and the leftovers, if there are any, make a perfectly fragrant bread and butter pudding. Enriched doughs take longer to rise so you need plenty of time to make this bread. But you can do the first two rises and then shape it, cover with cling film and put it in the fridge, ready to bake for breakfast or any time the next day. Just let it come to room temperature before putting in the pre heated oven.
- For the loaf
- ½ tsp Saffron strands
- 3 tbsp Warm water
- 1 tsp cardamom pods
- 500g Strong white flour, plus extra to dust
- ½ tsp salt
- 75g Caster sugar
- 10g Quick yeast
- 175ml Warm whole milk
- 2 Large eggs beaten
- 75g Softened unsalted butter
- For the filling
- 200g Granulated sugar
- 100g Softened butter
- 1 Level tbsp Ground cinnamon
- For the heart decoration
- 20g Plain flour
- 1tsp Unflavoured oil
- 2 tbsp cold water, enough to make a paste the consistency of thick cream
- For the glaze
- 75 ml Fresh orange juice without the bits
- 2 tbsp Caster sugar
- Place the saffron in the warm water and soak for 5 mins
- Grind the cardamom in a pestle and mortar, remove the papery outer casing and continue grinding until you have a fine powder.
- Place the flour, ground cardamom, salt, sugar & yeast into a bowl.
- Make a well in centre and add the saffron and saffron water, warm milk, eggs and softened butter, mix
- lightly with your fingers until everything comes together into a slightly sticky dough. Add a little extra water if the dough seems too dry.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 mins or until smooth and elastic.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm area for 1½ - 2 hours until doubled in size.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and turn onto a lightly floured surface and knock out the excess air. Form back into a ball and return the dough to an oiled bowl, re-cover and leave to rise in a warm place tor 1 - 1½ hours until doubled in size again.
- Meanwhile, mix together the ingredients for the filling, ensuring the cinnamon, sugar and butter are very well combined and soft.
- Grease a Bundt tin and set aside.
- Once the dough has risen for the second time knock it back again and then divide into 8 equal parts. Roll out each piece to about 12cm or 5 inches, spread with the cinnamon butter mixture and fold into a ball. Place into the greased bundt tin and repeat with the remainder of the dough.
- Cover with cling film or place into a plastic bag and leave to rise for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile,to make the heart decoration, mix the flour and oil together and just enough water to make a thick cream consistency. Place into a disposable piping bag or the corner of a small plastic bag. Snip a small corner off the bag and set aside until the dough has finished it's final rise.
- Preheat the oven 180c, 160c fan, Gas mark 4, 350f.
- Remove the tin from the cling film or plastic bag and pipe a heart on each dome of dough. Place into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile place the orange juice and sugar into a small pan and bring to the boil, continue cooking until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and leave to cool for about 5-7 mins. Then using a pastry brush brush the top of each dome with the sticky glaze to create a high shine.
- Remove from the bundt tin and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- If you are toasting, DO NOT toast in a toaster as the cinnamon sugar could burn. Place under a grill to toast.