Hearts, stars and angels fill the plate, delicate Christmas shapes of the thinnest biscuit you can imagine. There’s no need for coloured icing or silver sugar balls, they don’t need help to make children love them. Pepperkaka biscuits are part of every Swedish child’s run-up to Christmas. A simple shape packed with the fragrance of cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, black pepper and ginger, baked to a crisp thin that melts in your mouth.
This is the fragrance of Christmas for me, it heralds all the good things. Family getting together, a sumptuous meal and the fun of giving and receiving presents as we all gather around the tree for the annual sharing of gifts. Making a gift as all or part of a present for friends and family carries a silent special message, that you care and you spent time thinking of them as you Mixed, stirred, roasted and baked. Each item having individuality even if you scorched it.
These tiny banana breads are perfect as a hostess gift or packed on a decorative tray as a surprise for someone under the tree. With the fabulous fragrance of Pepperkaka and the irresistible sweetness of banana bread they are a winner. You can bake as one big loaf, just leave in the oven a little longer, 45-50 minutes until well risen, golden and skewer comes out clean.
- 100g Unsalted butter
- 175g Light brown sugar
- 215g Self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cardamom
- 2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 2tsp Ground ginger
- ½tsp Ground cloves
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 Medium bananas, mashed
- 2 Medium bananas cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp Brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 180c, 160c fan, gas mark 3, 325f.
- Cream the butter and sugar until the mix smooth and fluffy
- Mix the flour and baking powder together with the cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
- Fold into the butter and sugar, then add the milk and the mashed bananas
- Stir in the chopped bananas being careful not to break them up.
- Divide evenly between 6 greased mini loaf tins or cardboard moulds.
- Sprinkle the top with brown sugar for a crunchy top
- Bake for 25mins until well risen and golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven leave to cool and tie with a festive ribbon
- If making one large loaf bake for 45 - 50 mins.