I love eating in the sunshine, whether relaxing on a traditional plaid rug in a field, an over-sized towel on the beach or at a table on the patio, it lends itself to family gatherings and langourous eating. I’ll be posting several recipes that can be eaten either hot or cold, so that if all your picnic plans are scuppered by the weather, these dishes can be eaten warm, snuggled up on the sofa in front of the telly.
Sumac Roasted Chickpea And Pinenut Salad With Tomatoes, is a blend of spices from the middle east with the freshness of tomatoes sprinkled with a mix or sunflower, pumpkin, sesame seeds and linseed. The halloumi is fried in a dry pan until golden on the outside, creating the perfect vegetarian main dish or sharing dish for a picnic.
Sumac Roasted Chickpeas And Pinenuts With Tomatoes
Serves 2 as a main, 4 as a side dish
- 250g halloumi
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
- 11/2 tsp sumac
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 50g pinenuts
- 600g mixed tomatoes, some sliced, some halved or quartered
- pinch of salt
- 30g mixed seeds, sunflower, sesame,pumpkin and linseed or any of your choice
- Juice of half a lemon
- Slice the halloumi and pat dry on kitchen paper.
- Heat a frying pan to a moderate heat and lay the halloumi flat in the pan, leave to go golden for about 5 mins, then turn it over and cook the underside. Once golden brown remove it from the pan and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the pan and reduce the heat a little and add the chickpeas and the sumac and cook for 5 mins stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for 2 more minutes and then add the pinenuts and cook until they are golden, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and put everything into a bowl or platter. Add the tomatoes and salt and mix together well.
- Squeeze over the lemon juice and sprinkle with the seeds, top with the halloumi.
- This dish can be eaten hot or cold. If eating it cold, it's best a room temperature rather than straight from the fridge.
If you enjoyed this post you can subscribe to Glamorous Glutton here and get each new post direct to your inbox
If you enjoyed this recipe you’ll love these