When my mother announced that we were having cheesecake I was really excited and a little surprised. I’d only had cheesecake once, at my school friend’s house and that was because they travelled a lot to the States. I had in my mind a scent of sugar caramelising, a rich creaminess that was almost too much, a hint of lemon and a crispy base that melted on my tongue. My sister and I sat at the tea table anticipating this creation, on our plates was a thin square of baked curd cheese and almonds, covered in fresh berries and sprinkled with icing sugar. It was absolutely a cake of disappointment, a Swedish Cheesecake.
I’ve grown up with this cake and baked it often since then. I love the taste and texture, rich with cream but in a very different way from a traditional baked cheesecake that most people know. It isn’t overly sweet, it doesn’t have a biscuity, or any other base and in Sweden, a few bitter almonds are added to give it a distinctive flavour. I used Amaretto to replicate the bitter almonds; who doesn’t love a bit of liquor in their cake? Almond essence will give a hint of the bitter flavour too. It’s so easy to make, delicious and not at all disappointing.
- 900g Cottage cheese
- 30g Plain flour
- 4 Large eggs, beaten
- 45g Caster sugar
- 215mls Double cream
- 55g flaked almonds
- 2tbsp Amaretto or 2tsp Vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 200c, 180c fan, Gas mark 6, 400f.
- Grease a 25cm square oven proof dish or baking tin. If you use a 20cm dish cook for a little longer.
- Place the cottage cheese into a muslin or clean tea towel and squeeze out the remaining liquid (wey). I ended up with 680g of cottage cheese.
- Put the cottage cheese into a large bowl and add the remainder of the ingredients, mix until all combined.
- Pour intothe oven dish or baking tin and place into the oven and bake for 40 mins until golden brown. If the top colours too quickly, cover with a piece of tin foil.
- Remove from the oven, cool until warm and sprinkle with icing sugar. Serve, in squares, with fresh fruit or jam and whipped cream.