Chicken is an easy meal for the family, although here each person has a different part of the bird that they prefer. When I cook a whole chicken this can lead to the need for a three legged bird or one with five wings depending on who is having supper. This Harissa Chicken With Chorizo dish uses chicken thighs, ultimately juicy and succulent, with a crisp skin, they are perfect for cooking in the oven. It seems that if you don’t give choice, and the marinade is delicious, everyone is happy whatever part of the chicken it is.
This is a really simple marinade which, like most is better if it’s kept on for longer, 3-24 hours, but if you’re looking to cut time short, it’ll still be delicious if you cover the joints generously in the marinade and cook straight away. This dish is great hot or cold. Make extra and take some for lunch the next day.
Harissa Chicken With Chorizo
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp harissa paste
- juice of half a lemon
- 650g chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
- 155g chorizo cut into thick slices
- 2 lemons cut into quarters
- 1 bulb of garlic cut in half
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 3 sprigs of oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- In a zip lock bag or a bowl, mix the olive oil, harissa, and lemon juice together. Add the chicken and ensure the chicken is well coated. Leave in the fridge for 3 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Remove from the fridge and spread out on a baking tray.
- Preheat oven 180c, 160c fan, gas mark 4, 350f
- Tuck the chorizo and lemon in between the chicken pieces, do the same with the garlic
- Season with salt
- Scatter the herbs over the top.
- Cover with foil and place in the oven for 30mins,
- After 30mins turn the oven up to 200c, 180c, gas mark 6, 400f.
- Remove the foil and place back in the oven for 20 mins or until the skin is nicely browned
- Serve with the juices poured over the chicken
If you enjoyed this post you can subscribe to Glamorous Glutton here and get each new post direct to your inbox
If you enjoyed this recipe you’ll love these